Lawrence V. Gulotta, MDOrthopedic Surgeon
Dr. Lawrence V. Gulotta is the Chief of the Shoulder and Elbow Division of the Sports Medicine Institute at Hospital for Special Surgery. He specializes in shoulder surgery and sports medicine, including arthroscopic and open surgeries of the shoulder.
Dr. Gulotta has dedicated his career to understanding and treating shoulder conditions. He has performed research on new ways to improve rotator cuff healing, as well as ways to improve the design and performance of shoulder replacements. He has received several awards for his research, authored numerous clinical and basic science research papers, and given presentations at national and international meetings. He currently serves as a reviewer for the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, and the Journal of Orthopaedic Research. He is also on the Editorial Board of the HSS Journal.
As an undergraduate, Dr. Gulotta attended Johns Hopkins University, where he studied biology and played varsity football. He was recognized with several academic and athletic honors. He was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and named to the GTE Academic All-American Football Team in his senior year.
Dr. Gulotta attended Harvard Medical School followed by Hospital for Special Surgery, where he trained in orthopedic surgery, sports medicine, and shoulder surgery. In addition to his training in the United States, Dr. Gulotta acquired further training in shoulder surgery at specialized centers across Europe. He completed an AO Shoulder Trauma Fellowship in Bern, Switzerland, and also observed leading shoulder surgeons in Zurich, Switzerland, and Lyon, France. His diverse training has allowed him to perform cutting-edge arthroscopic and open surgeries for the treatment of shoulder instability, labral tears, shoulder replacements, large rotator cuff tears, revision shoulder surgeries, and shoulder fractures.
Dr. Gulotta is also interested in athletic injuries of the shoulder. During his training, he served as an Assistant Physician for the New York Football Giants, Iona College Athletics, the FDNY semi-professional Football Team, and the New York City Public Schools Athletic League.
- Associate Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon, Hospital for Special Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Nominated for the American Shoulder and Elbow Society (ASES) Neer Award for Clinical Research (2011)
- Jean McDaniel Award. Awarded to the HSS Chief Resident who best demonstrates leadership, professionalism and ethics in the care of patients as voted by co-residents (2009)
- Lewis Clark Wagner Award for Resident Research at Hospital for Special Surgery (2009)
- New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center Distinguished House-staff Award for Orthopaedic Surgery (2008)
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association Ranawat Award for Excellence in Research (2008)
- First Place, Podium Presentation at the 7th Annual OREF NYC Resident Research Symposium (2008)
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association Founder’s Award for the Top Research Paper by a Resident/Fellow (2007)
- First Place, Podium Presentation at the 6th Annual OREF NYC Resident Research Symposium (2007)
- New York Chapter of the Arthritis Foundation Orthopaedic Research Fellowship Award (2006)
- AOA-OREF-Zimmer Resident Leadership Forum Participant (2007)
- OREF Clinician-Scientist Development Program Participant (2007)
- Phi Beta Kappa (1999)
- Harvard Medical School
- New York Presbyterian Hospital – General Surgery
- Hospital for Special Surgery – Orthopaedic Surgery
- Hospital for Special Surgery – Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery
- AO Shoulder Trauma Fellowship, Bern, Switzerland (Ralph Hertel, MD)
- Additional Shoulder Training:
- Lyon, France
- Zurich, Switzerland
- Boston, MA
- Board Certified
- New York
Lawrence V. Gulotta, MD has contributed to the following articles on HSS.edu:
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Shoulder Arthroplasty
- Functional Outcome After Total Shoulder Arthroplasty in the Obese Patient Population
- Fast Track THR: One Hospital’s Experience with a 2-Day Length of Stay Protocol for Total Hip Replacement
- Arthroscopic Avulsion Repair of a Pediatric ACL with an Anomalous Primary Insertion into the Lateral Meniscus
- Editorial Board, HSS Journal (2006-present)
- Reviewer, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research (2006-present)
- Reviewer, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery – American (2007-present)
- Reviewer, HSS Journal (2009-present)
- Reviewer, Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery (2010-present)
- Gulotta L, Kovacevic D, Packer J, Ehteshami J, Rodeo S. Adenoviral-Mediated Gene Transfer of hBMP-13 Does Not Improve Rotator Cuff Healing in a Rat Model. Am J Sports Medicine. 2010 Oct 17 (Epub ahead of print).
- Gulotta L, Kovacevic D, Montgomery S, Ehteshami J, Packer J, Rodeo S. Stem cells genetically modified with the developmental gene MT1-MMP improve regeneration of the supraspinatus tendon-to-bone insertion site. Am J Sports Med. 2010 Jul;38(7):1429-37.
- Bedi A, Kovacevic D, Hettrich C, Gulotta L, Ehteshami J, Warren R, Rodeo S. The effect of matrix metalloproteinase inhibition on tendon-to-bone healing in a rotator cuff repair model. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2010 Apr;19(3):384-91.
- Gulotta L, Kovacevic D, Dahger E, Montgomery S, Packer J, Rodeo S. Application of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells to improve tendon-to-bone healing in a rotator cuff model. Am J Sports Med. 2009 Nov;37(11):2126-33.
- Gulotta L, Rudzki JR, Kovacevic D, Chen CT, Milentijevic D, Williams R. Chondrocyte death and matrix degradation following autologous osteochondral transplantation in a rabbit model. Am J Sports Med 2009 Jul;37(7): 1324-33.
- Gulotta L, Rodeo SA. Growth factors in rotator cuff repair. Clin Sports Med 2009 Jan; 28(1): 13-23.
- Gulotta L, Kovacevic D, Ying L, Ehteshami J, Montgomery S, Rodeo S. Augmentation of tendon-bone healing with a magnesium-based bone adhesive. Am J Sports Med 2008 Jul;36(7): 1290-7.
- Drakos M, Verma N, Gulotta L, Potucek F, Taylor S, Fealy S, Selby RM, O’Brien SJ. Arthroscopic transfer of the long head of the biceps tendon: functional outcome and clinical results. Arthroscopy 2008 Feb;24(2): 217-23.
- Gulotta L, Baldini A, Foote K, Lyman S, Nestor B. Femoral revision with an extensively hydroxyapatite-coated femoral component. HSS Journal 2007 Feb;4(1): 55-61.
- Gulotta L, Rodeo S. The biology of autograft and allograft healing in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Clin Sports Med 2007 Oct;26(4): 509-524.
- Gulotta L, Hidaka C, Maher S, Cunningham M, Rodeo S. What’s new in orthopaedic research. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2007 Sept;89(9): 2092-2101.
- Domb B, Ehteshami J, Shindle M, Gulotta L, Zoghi-Moghadam M, MacGillivray J, Altchek DW. A biomechanical comparison of suture anchor configuration for Type II SLAP lesions. Arthroscopy 2007 Feb; 23(2): 135-140.
- Gulotta L, Gardner M, Rose H, Helfet D, Lorich D. Periprosthetic patellar fracture following an open knee dislocation. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2005 Jul;(436): 256-259.
- Ring D, Gulotta L, Chin K, Jupiter JB. Olecranon osteotomy for exposure of fractures and nonunions of the distal humerus. J Orthop Trauma 2004 Aug; 18(7): 446-449.
- Ring D, Gulotta L, Roy A, Jupiter JB. Concomitant nonunions of the distal humerus and olecranon. J South Orthop Assoc. 2003 Spring;12(1):27-31.
- Ring D, Gulotta L, Jupiter JB. Unstable nonunions of the distal part of the humerus. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003 Jun;85-A(6):1040-6.
- Ring D, Jupiter JB, Gulotta L. Atrophic nonunions of the proximal ulna. Clin Orthop 2003 Apr; 409: 168-74.
- Ring D, Jupiter JB, Gulotta L. Articular fractures of the distal part of the humerus. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003 Feb; 85A(2): 232-138.
- Gulotta L, Rodeo S. Evaluation of stem cells genetically modified with scleraxis to improve rotator cuff healing. Clin Orthop Relat Res (Accepted, in Press).
- Gulotta L, Voos J, Shindle M, Weiss L, Barnes R, Rodeo S, Warren R. Gastrocnemius injury complicated by an arteriovenous malformation in a professional American football player. Clin J Sports Med (Accepted, in Press).
- Gulotta L., Rodeo SA. “Basic Science Aspects of the ACL: tendon healing, vascularity, and microscopic anatomy.” Book chapter in ACL Surgery: How to get it right the first time, and what to do when you don’t, Bernard Bach and Matthew Provecher, Eds. Thorofare, NJ: SLACK, Inc, 2010.
- Buckwalter JA, Einhorn TA, Marsh JL, Gulotta L, Ranawat A, Lane J. “Bone and Joint Healing.” Book chapter in Rockwood and Green’s Fractures in Adults-Seventh Edition, Robert Bucholz, Charles Court-Brown, James Heckman, and Paul Tornetta, Eds. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health, 2009.
- Gulotta L. “Orthopaedic Surgery.” Book chapter in Surgical Recall Fifth Edition, Lorne Blackbourne, Ed. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2008.
- Gulotta L. “Muscle Injuries: An Overview.” Patient educational chapter published on the HSS website. http://www.hss.edu/conditions_muscle-injuries-overview.asp. New York, NY. October 2009.
- Gulotta L, Marks C, Fealy S. “Physical Examination and Surgical Indications of the Arthritic Shoulder.” Book chapter in Shoulder Arthroplasty, Stephen Fealy, Russell Warren, Edward Craig, and John Sperling, Eds. New York, NY: Thieme, 2008.
- Gulotta L. “Orthopaedic Surgery.” Book chapter in Surgical Recall Fourth Edition, Lorne Blackbourne, Ed. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2005.
- Gulotta L, Lieberman G. “Imaging of the Shoulder.” Web tutorial published on Beth Israel-Deaconess’ radiology web site. http://eradiology.bidmc.harvard.edu/learningLab/musculo/Gulotta_files/frame.htm. Boston, MA. October 2002.
- Gulotta L, Lieberman G. “Pelvic Ring Fractures.” Web tutorial published on Beth Israel-Deaconess’ radiology web site. www.bidmc.harvard.edu/radiology/education/default.htm. Boston, MA. November 2001.
- Gulotta L, Rodeo SA. “Muscle, Tendon, Ligament.” Book chapter in Orthopaedic Knowledge Update (OKU) 10, John Flynn, Editor. Chicago, IL: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, (In Press).
- Gulotta L, Gerber C. “Tendon Transfers for Massive Rotator Cuff Tears.” Book chapter in Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: The Shoulder, Edward V. Craig, Editor. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins (In Press).
- Gulotta L, Choi D, Marinello P, Wright T, Cordasco F, Craig E, Warren F. Effects of humeral retroversion on the scaption ability following reverse total shoulder arthroplasty: A biomechanical study. 11th International Congress of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. Edinburgh, Scotland; September 5-8, 2010.
- Gulotta L, Choi D, Marinello P, Wright T, Cordasco F, Craig E, Warren F. Effects of anterior deltoid and subscapularis deficiency on the scaption ability following reverse total shoulder arthroplasty: A biomechanical study. 11th International Congress of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. Edinburgh, Scotland; September 5-8, 2010.
- Gulotta L, Kovacevic D, Packer D, Deng X, Rodeo. Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal cells transduced with scleraxis improve rotator cuff healing in a rat model. Annual Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. Providence, RI; July 15-18, 2010.
- Gulotta L, Kovacevic D, Montgomery S, Ehteshami J, Rodeo S. Evaluation of adenoviral-mediated gene transfer of hBMP-13 to improve rotator cuff healing in a rat model. 55th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society. Las Vegas, NV; February 22-25, 2009.
- Bedi A, Kovacevic D, Fox A, Gulotta L, Hettrich C, Deng X, Warren R, Rodeo S. The effect of BMP 2-7 heterodimer delivered in an injectable calcium-phosphate matrix on tendon-bone healing in an ACL reconstruction model. 55th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society. Las Vegas, NV; February 22-25, 2009.
- Bedi A, Kovacevic D, Hettrich C, Gulotta L, Ehteshami J, Warren R, Rodeo S. The effect of matrix metalloproteinase inhibition on tendon-to-bone healing in a rotator cuff repair model. 55th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society. Las Vegas, NV; February 22-25, 2009.
- Gulotta L, Rudzki JR, Kovacevic D, Chen CT, Williams RJ. Chondrocyte necrosis and matrix degradation following osteochondral autologous transplantation surgery in a rabbit model. 54th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society. San Francisco, CA; March 2-5, 2008.
- Gulotta L, Kovacevic D, Ying L, Ehteshami J, Montgomery, Deng X, Rodeo S. Augmentation of tendon-bone healing with a magnesium based bone adhesive in a rabbit ACL model. 6th Annual OREF NYC Resident Research Symposium. Columbia University, New York, NY; May 25, 2007.
- Wanich T, Zelken J, Rodeo SA, Gulotta L, Shindle M, Warren RF. Functional tissue engineering of a meniscal replacement. 74th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. San Diego, CA; February 14-18, 2007.
- Biology of Rotator Cuff Healing
- Biomechanics of Shoulder Replacements
- Outcomes of Rotator Cuff Surgery
- Outcomes of Shoulder Replacement Surgery
- Prospective Evaluation of the Clinical and Economic Outcomes of Total Joint Replacement: The HSS Shoulder Arthroplasty Cohort
- Scapular Kinematics of Healthy Controls and Individuals with Asymptomatic Rotator Cuff Tears: Reliability and Group Comparison in Older Adults.
- Lower Extremity Realignment Therapy for the Treatment of Medial Knee Osteoarthritis- A Pilot Study